Daring Cooks Challenge- Rice with Mushroom and Cuttlefish


The Sofregit

Making the Allioli

Assembling Everything

The final product

Closeup


This month Olga from Olga's Recipes is hosting our Daring Cooks challenge. Olga has chosen a Rice with Mushroom and Cuttlefish dish- essentially a Paella. This dish is by José Andrés, an accomplished Spanish Chef who now lives in DC and operates three restaurants. At the moment, this recipe is apparently a very important/popular Spanish dish(I can't confirm this, so I'm taking Olgas word for it ;))I have never made a Paella so this was actually a challange for me and that's exactly why I joined the daring cooks. So I was happy about that.

I used squid in my recipe instead of Cuttlefish and it really overpowered my dish. I usually try to buy fish fresh from Whole Foods or somewhere I know it will be fresh but I had to use my grocery store due to time. Well, I think my dish suffered as a result as it had a distinct fishy taste. But apart from that; the saffron, rice, tomatoes all worked beautifully together to create a wonderfully aromatic dish. Thanks Olga for introducing me to Spanish cuisine. I look forward to more Daring Cooks Challenges.

This dish has three distinct steps:
1. The Sofregit- This is a tomato based sauce
2. Allioli- This is a garlic/olive oil mayo
3. The Paella and assembling everything together.

This Recipe is incredibly long and my ADD has kicked in, so I will direct you to here for the recipe.

Enjoy!

12 comments:

  1. What a great job you did on this challenge. I like your pictures. I was so involved in the cooking process, it never dawned on me to take a minute to get out my camera. Anyway, your efforts are lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on a first DC challenge VERY well done. Your dish came out gorgeous and it looks amazingly tasty! Your photos are also top notch! Excellent job all around!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on your first DC challenge - you did a great job :) You dish looks very delicious! Cheers :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. great job with the challenge!
    looks amazing! =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the wonderful welcome. Looking forward to future challanges!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I started out with DC for the same reasons and ended up having issues with the end product as well.

    It was still worth it in the end as at least I know have an idea as to what it takes to make a paella :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow what a great effort and results you got love those pics. Well done and maybe the fishmonger's might be the way to go next time but the allioli and the 'tomato sauce' are delicious by themselves. Cheers from Audax in Australia

    ReplyDelete
  8. Forgot to mention Congrats on your first challenge. Hope you have many more happy ones in the future. Audax

    ReplyDelete
  9. Too bad we don't have smell-net yet. Your dish looks delicious. I look forward to seeing the next challenge don't you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful job =D. Your dish looks amazing!! Congrats on your first challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations on your first challenge - nicely done!
    Your dish looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks guys. Dandelion, I do look forward to the next recipe!

    ReplyDelete

Subscribe Now

Custom Search